Friday, January 29, 2010

Proverbs 16:11 (New International Version)

11 Honest scales and balances are from the LORD;
all the weights in the bag are of his making.

When I read this verse I laughed. It made me think that God was referring to portion control when He gave this verse to Solomon.

I was reminded of the times I have fudged on the amounts when I was measuring out some foods. You know what I mean. Using a 1 cup measure to get a 1/2 cup of something and going past the mark and adding just a little more. Or when we use a 1/2 cup measure to mete out a serving of some cereal and allowing it to spill over the measure and into the bowl. We figure that extra doesn't matter. Using our "eyeball" scale to measure a portion of meat and convincing ourselves that a piece of meat the size of a paperback book is equivalent to a deck of cards.

All of these deceptions seem small but they do add up. They can also lead to even bigger deceptions. We can continue cheating ourselves to the point of totally giving up on controlling our portions. Then we end up back where we were when our journey began.

Please allow God to lead you on this journey. Please allow Him to direct your hand when measuring your portions. Honest weights are from Him. Dishonest weights will not lead to success. He wants you to succeed.

Peace and Grace,
Don
John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment