Monday, February 15, 2010

1 John 5:14 (New Living Translation)
14 And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him.

As I read this verse my reaction is different than you might expect. I don't read this and think about Him giving all I ask of Him. I do not see this as a promise that my requests will be fulfilled.

Instead, I read this and notice that it says we have to ask. There has to be an action on our part. We have to talk to God. We cannot just assume He knows our needs. He does, of course, but He wants us to communicate them to Him.

Spend some time everyday talking with God. You will find that He is a very good listener. He wants to hear from you. He wants you to share your worries and concerns as well as your wants and needs. Like a parent, God is just waiting to hear from His children.

When you spend time talking to God about this journey to a healthier you it will become clear that He is there with you. You do not travel alone. Reach out to Him in prayer and see that change is going to happen. Eating habits can change. Exercise habits can change. Attitudes can change. I have heard it said that prayer changes things but I have come to believe that prayer does not change things. My experience is that prayer changes me.

Prayer is one of the main tools God uses to communicate with us. It is through prayer that we can ask, be answered, and experience the power of our loving God.
Want God to hear you? Just ask!

Peace and Grace,
Don
John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment