Friday, February 12, 2010

Philippians 3:7 (New Living Translation)

7 I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done.

I once thought that eating whatever I wanted to eat was okay. I once believed it just did not matter what I put into my body. I once figured it was important not to deny myself the treats I felt I deserved. Does any of this sound familiar?

Most of us have probably given food a larger place in our lives than it deserved. We have used food to comfort our sorrows. We have used it as a way to celebrate achievements. Maybe we have even used it as a reward when we have reached a certain weight loss goal. However we have used food we are guilty of considering it as having a certain high value.

Paul reminds us in this verse that the things we once thought were of value are worthless in the light of Jesus. In other words, who needs a bacon cheeseburger when we have Jesus? Where is the value in a cheesecake when we look at Jesus as the gift He is? When looked at in this way there is just no comparison. The true value of anything in this life pales when it is measured against this standard.

Look to Jesus for value and worth not to things or food. He will never disappoint you. He will never leave you wanting just one more bite to be satisfied.

Peace and Grace,
Don
John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment